This Page

has been moved to new address

The Sweet Smell Of Spring

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* ----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Sweet Smell Of Spring

I wish I could grow flowers, tomatoes, basil, weeds, cactus... anything! I have the brownest thumb on the planet (I'm assuming that's the opposite of having a green thumb).

As long as my husband and I have lived together he has always said that he'd like plants in our home. I discourage this every chance I get because I would either water them too much, too little or forget all together.

The only plants in our house are the flowers I purchase every two weeks:
Pretty enough, but not the same, right?

I love walking around my neighborhood. I love to feel the cool breeze coming off the ocean not far away, the warm exchange of greetings with the people I pass and the sweet smell of spring, especially all the gorgeous roses in bloom!


I wish I could grow flowers like these:

There must be such satisfaction in having a beautiful vibrant rose garden.

Heck, any garden!

I need to send my husband out for a walk.

What can you grow?
This post was written for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop, Prompt 4.) Photo Story: Take a walk through your neighborhood this week and share some pictures of what Spring looks like where you live.
post signature

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Alison@Mama Wants This said...

Gorgeous flowers! The weather looks pretty good too :-)

April 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Mommy Needs a Vacation said...

Beautiful flowers!! We actually have green thumbs. We grow everything- tomatoes, squash, peppers, you name it! I also LOVE my flowers. But...inside flowers are just as good!

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger The Little Hen House said...

I have an accidental green thumb. We grow artichokes, strawberries, garlic, roses, and other misc. plants. I totally neglect my plants, but they keep thriving. I did manage to kill my terrarium though, and I was under the understanding that it's nearly impossible to do that.

You know, growing children is much more impressive than any garden I've ever seen.

April 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Mama Mary said...

Oh man, I have a black thumb. For a girl named Mary, my garden grows like crap! Honestly, I kill everything. I love your photos of flowers and desperately wish I could grow them!

April 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

You can't even grow weeds??? I can grow those NO problem! But we are attempting a garden of corn, watermelon, strawberries, squash, cucumbers....see me in about 2 months and I'll let you know how that goes.

I bet the neighborhood smells awesome with all those flowers though!

April 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Queen Mahin said...

Ah, lovely. I have a long-suffering pothos that has been surprisingly resilliant, but otherwise I stick to the buying of the flowers. I bought some flowers today as one of the tasks from my Anti Depession Toolkit. :)

April 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Stasha said...

I have been known to kill a cactus. The house we live in now came with an awful back yard, so everything is an improvement. All of a sudden I am a decent gardener. Proves to show, if you start in the gutter, the only way is up...

April 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Mama Kat said...

Oh man...me too!! I can't grow a flower to save my life.

April 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I think you should get one, just one plant and try it. You might surprise yourself and keep it alive. Start with something small (not an orchid).

April 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

UGHH.... such pretty pics and flowers. So super jealous. Our spring has sucked so far. At least someone has pretty things outside! ;)

Jackie @ http://tofindtheline.blogspot.com/

April 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM  
Anonymous tracy said...

I cannot grow anything. I wish I could afford a hot gardener.

April 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM  
Blogger Elena said...

Beautiful flowers. I don't have much of a green thumb but I get super lucky with hydrangeas for some reason. My dad has a green thumb and comes over to help us out. A lot!

April 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM  
Blogger Micheal Belayudam said...

Flowers looking great!
I love flowers.


Letters

April 28, 2011 at 3:58 AM  
Blogger singedwingangel said...

Actually I used to be the same way. Till I learned how to read plant care and figured out that plants can thrive even in my yard without much help from me. I have ivy that goes wild and from the ground over my porch railing, and roses that once I beat teh dogs to keep them from digging them out flourished. I also planted glads and daylilies because you plant them and forget them

April 28, 2011 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger JDaniel4's Mom said...

The flowers look wonderful! We just have big shrubs surrounding our house.

April 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger waytenmom said...

I can relate!! We have a perfect "flower bed" area in front of our house - I have conducted various experiments with it but right now it is a bed of .... DIRT. Sad. Nice to have someone to commiserate with!

April 28, 2011 at 5:29 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

Dang girl. You and me both. I have killed a cactus. True story. It keeled over and fell to it's death. Guess I over watered her. lol.

April 28, 2011 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Miss Marina Star said...

I am hopeless at growing plants as well, and also go the store bought flower route. My husband, on the other hand, is brilliant so luckily we are able to have a yard with some color. Otherwise, we'd have to have one of those rock lawns.

April 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Suebug said...

I felt so proud of my fruit and vegetable garden at my house in Camarillo. I am growing heirloom tomatoes in the Tucson desert now and hoping for the best.

April 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

Try Zinnias. They are so easy to grow.

April 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Coreen said...

Lovely photos! I was in your 'hood yesterday, I had to pick up my new eye glasses and the main drag was packed with peeps heading to the beach to enjoy the sun so I short-cutted down your street or actually one street over I think. I would have called to see if you wanted lunch but of course I had to get back for yet another meeting. That's been my week. XO

April 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I can't grow a thing! I can't even manage plants inside the house.

April 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Pretty flowers! I like to think that I have a green thumb and I always like have something growing around the house. I should get some flowers this weekend. : )

April 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Sluiter Nation said...

oh this post makes me CRAZY to get out into my yard! I want the weather to warm up! and what I can't grow? I buy weekly at the farmer's market :)

April 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger JDaniel4's Mom said...

I have had mixed success with flowers and veggies.

April 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

I'm trying to grow peonies right now. It's not looking too good. lol I think I'm just going to resort to purchasing flowers for the house every two weeks. ;)

Kristi, Live and Love Out Loud
@TweetingMama

April 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

I love comments and appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for visiting Letters For Lucas.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home